WRESTLEMANIA 35 CARD AND THOUGHTS
The show of shows is fast approaching and the entire card still has not been released yet. Depending on how much you follow the online posts it’s all over the place. Are they going to have 17 matches? Is Vince concerned the show will be longer than last year? Are they going to not have every title defended? What day is today? What month are we in? My god it never stops. So let’s look at what we have confirmed as of Sunday March 24th. I will also start to make my predictions and thoughts on the announced matches.
- From what I have read it still is scheduled to be the Triple Threat Match for the Raw Women’s Championship. Ronda Rousey vs Becky Lynch vs Charlotte Flair. I have made my opinions known about this match in several blogs. This angle has been drawn out way too long. Ronda vs Charlotte was always the plan for this event. Becky got hot and had to be added to the match. She has in my opinion cooled down. Let’s not forget that if Nia Jax could control these hands Becky would have fought Ronda at Survivor Series and not Charlotte and things might have been different. I love the Ronda heel turn. She should have always been the bad ass character. I do understand why she wasn’t when she first got into the WWE. I couldn’t stand to see her smiling at the crowd. The Man is cooling off now. I have grown tired of this is my moment crap. She is not on the level of Ronda and Charlotte. And that is not a slap in the face to her either. What I really want is to see the Horsewomen angle in this match. However they want to do it I really don’t care. Maybe have Bayley and Sasha take out Ronda. Maybe Ronda’s team comes out and lays out both Becky and Charlotte. But that probably leads to Ronda retaining the title. I do not expect to see Ronda take the fall. Becky would probably win by pinning Charlotte. Somehow we need to get Charlotte and Becky on the same page to start the angle. Shayna Baszler is rumored to be getting brought up to the main roster. Maybe that is a sign of what is to come. I also think Ronda is not going anywhere. Maybe she takes a month or two off. But FOX wants her on Smackdown.
- Brock Lesnar vs Seth Rollins for the Universal Championship. Seth took the ball from Roman Reigns and ran with it as best as he could. Brock is never on TV. That title is never defended. It’s hard to sell the match when one half is not around. If not for the brilliance of Paul Heyman on the mic this would be a waste of time. Everyone expects and wants Seth to take the strap from Brock. For just that reason I don’t think it happens. Call me crazy. Even with Daniel Cormier saying he wants to do a run in. Ehh not sure how I feel about that. It would be right along with what FOX supposedly wants.
- Triple H vs Batista. We knew this was coming since the Smackdown 1000 celebration. Batista using Ric Flair to get this match was a good strategy. The promos have been good leading up to this match. I wish Batista was making a full time comeback. This match will be physical. But I expect Triple H to win.
- Shane McMahon vs The Miz. Another match we knew was coming since the Saudi Arabia PPV. It was a matter of how they get this match set up. I was not into this match at the beginning. But after seeing the split at Fastlane and how Shane attacked The Miz in front of his father, and then Shane’s promo on Smackdown Live I started to get into it. But I am now totally hooked after The Miz cut the best promo of his career. Miz is so good on the mic. Look for the Miz to win with his father getting involved.
- AJ Styles vs Randy Orton. This match was thrown together so how they got heat was going to be important. There were little teases in interviews back stage before Orton RKO’s Elias for no reason. AJ hit Orton with the phenomenal forearm right after setting this up. But the promo on Smackdown Live between AJ and RKO was magic. Everything that said was 100 percent true which has made the heat between the two seem real. These are two great workers who deserve to have a match at the show of shows. This should be a great match and I give the win to Orton.
- Samoa Joe vs Rey Mysterio for the United States Title. We knew Joe was going to have a match on this card. I was hoping for a match against Andrade but both are heels. I could live with this match but it looks like Mysterio’s kid is going to be involved in some way. I hate that. Joe is not losing the strap.
- Kurt Angle Vs Baron Corbin. Angle’s Retirement Match. There isn’t a sole on Earth who wants Baron Corbin in this match. And now Vince knows it. There is only one person who should be facing Angle and that is John Cena. Please Vince make the right choice. The only choice and put Cena in this match. Angle will beat whoever he faces.
- Andre The Giant Battle Royal. This match is irrelevant and no one cares who wins as it does nothing for the winner. It just gets all the talent on the card. This match will be on the kickoff show.
- Buddy Murphy vs Tony Nese Cruiserweight Title match. Who cares. Another match that will be on the kickoff show.
- We know Asuka is defending her Smackdown Live Women’s title. We don’t know who it will be against. There is a fatal 4-way match on SD Live between Mandy Rose, Sonya Deville, Naomi and Carmella where the winner faces Asuka. Let’s see. They are teasing the breakup of Mandy and Sonya which makes sense if they are not going to be in the tag team title picture. Carmella I think will have other plans. Naomi has not been seen on TV for a month now. To have the best match and one we haven’t seen before is Asuka vs Naomi. So I am hoping for that. Mandy or Sonya winning only makes sense if both are in that match. I do also feel that Lacey Evans gets added to the match and don’t be surprised if she wins the strap. WWE has really screwed up Asuka during this very insignificant reign. And she did get Becky to tap out at Royal Rumble and it feels like she is getting punished for that.
- Daniel Bryan will be defending his title against Kofi Kingston. Kofi will be in this match. It’s just a matter of when he officially becomes part of the match. My guess is Kofi puts his career on the line in a match on SD Live this week against I don’t know who. Hopefully it’s not Daniel Bryan. I really feel this match will be the best one on the card and I expect Kofi to win.
- Boss/Hug vs Nattie & Beth Phoenix vs Nia Jax & Tamina vs The IIconics for the women’s tag team titles. This should be announced this week. I can see Nia and Tamina winning the belts. If the IIconics were to win they need to switch to Raw as there are no tag teams on SD Live. Part of me also feels they are setting up a Phoenix vs Nia match so maybe Boss/Hug retains. I am going with the IIconics. The Women’s tag team division is screwed up anyway. It’s like oh let’s give the women’s division a tag team championship because they don’t have one. And the Riott Squad has not been seen since the Elimination chamber. You will need several teams to make up a legit tag team division. Maybe they bring in 2 women from NXT for this match. At this point who knows.
- Uso’s vs The Hardy Boys for the SD Live Tag team titles. They have teased this and it has to happen. Despite the talk of cutting both tag team titles off the card. This is too good a match to ignore. Hopefully it gets made official this week. Now as for who wins. I say the Uso’s. I don’t buy that they are going to leave the company.
- Roman Reigns vs Drew McIntyre. Drew issued the challenge last week. Roman will accept this week on Raw. Solid match. Roman wins
- Finn Balor will be wrestling as the demon. Not sure what is going on here. You would think Lashley for the what seems like 100th Lio Rush will turn on Lashley costing him the title. If these two are not facing each other then I don’t know who Balor faces as he figures to be on the card before Lashley.
- I haven’t heard that the women’s battle royal is still happening. It has not been announced yet. I am thinking this match gets cut. That’s why you are seeing multi woman matches.
- I do expect something to happen with this whole Lexi Bliss/Carmella/R Truth story. I would love to personally see an impromptu match with Carmella and R Truth Vs Bliss and Elias. It kind of makes sense to me in a way. The winner of this match does not really matter. Possibly a run in with Andrade and Zelina Vega. Whatever gets Carmella on TV more makes me very happy.
Ok so there are some prominent names left off this card destined to be in either the Men’s battle royal or not on the card altogether.
Will the Revival defend their Raw tag team titles at Wrestlemania? It would further showcase Ricochet and Alesiter Black. Knowing the WWE, they will make this a 4 team schmoz match adding Bobby Roode and Chad Gable and maybe Heavy Machinery. While I hate to see Ricochet and Black on the kickoff show that is where this match is destined to be.
Other big names such as Kevin Owens, Nakamura, Rusev, whoever loses the women’s fatal 4-way match on SD Live, Big E, Xavier and a whole bunch of Men’s mid card talent without matches. The men will be in the battle royal. As for the women maybe you have 6 or so not involved in some way in the card. Does it make sense to have a women’s battle royal that will have more NXT women than main roster women in the match?
I have to give it to the Revival. They are trying to get noticed. In reality they are a very talented tag team. WWE has dropped the ball with their booking of this team. But please god I don’t want to see them face Gronk and Mojo Rawley at Wrestlemania. This is such a Vince move too. Would it surprise me to find out Gronk has been training for the last month to be able to appear at Wrestlemania? Absolutely not. Everyone thinks he is going to be working for the WWE anyway at some point now that he is retired from the NFL.
While I am at it kudos to you Lana. For some Rusev is an after-thought and I can’t understand why. He has great in ting ability. If you have ever seen Total Divas or the recent “Drop The Mic” show you would know he has tremendous personality and charisma.
I have been saying for 2 months now that I feel the women need their own weekly show. With SD Live moving to FOX there is a spot open on USA who I can’t believe would not be open to anything the WWE pitches. There is just too much talent being wasted. I know 2 more hours of live TV and yes the show needs to be live is a lot. But I think it needs to happen. Especially if Smackdown Live moves to Friday and it’s live.
What are your thoughts on the card?